Sunday, October 30, 2005

This week's column:
Trolling for treats is
tricky for grownups

The thing I've always liked about Halloween is how it truly gets everybody involved, from the smallest trick-or-treater going door to door collecting Tootsie Rolls to the grumpiest old curmudgeon pulling down toilet paper from his oak tree Nov. 1 and thinking about finally getting that gun permit.

Personally, I'm now right in between those two extremes - not old enough to humbug Halloween, but too old to trick or treat or even go out on the town in some crazy getup, like when I was single. (By the way, single guys: Based on my experience, it turns out having a cool costume doesnot make it easier to meet women. At least when that cool costume is Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy of the original "Star Trek." Let's move on.)

But just when I thought my enjoyment of Halloween would continue to be limited to gnawing arduously on rock-hard Mary Janes from my kids' candy bags, I saw some survey results that have made me reevaluate my stance. According to shoppinginamerica.biz, more and more adults - including an astounding 42.1 percent of people over 75 - are planning to trick or treat on Halloween. (Sample over-75 survey response: "Of course I'm planning to expectorate on Halloween - all this phlegm doesn't just go away by itself!")

For the rest of this week's AT LARGE by Peter Chianca, click here.

1 comment:

Marti said...

Wishing everyone on my blogroll a boo-tiful day! LOL!
Happy Halloween!