Sunday, May 29, 2005

This week's column: Baby,
remember my name ... or not

When I started writing this column seven years ago, I had the same goal most journalists have when they get into the business: To make a difference. Ha ha ha! No, seriously, it was to become famous.

However, fame has proven somehow elusive. I attribute this to a fickle public, the vagaries of the publishing industry and the fact that my column is still read primarily by blood relatives who already know me.

But a recent experience led me to believe that my fame tide may be turning. I received an e-mail from one Alfred Göttfert that began "Hallo lieber Prominenter oder winiger Porinenter," which made me think I was finally, after years of hard work, being targeted by Nazis. (Disclaimer: I'm of course not referring to the fine, upstanding current residents of Germany, but rather to elderly Nazis living in Brazil.)

Read the rest of this week's At Large by Peter Chianca here.

9 comments:

Sumeeta said...

I really enjoyed the humor of this piece. Writing for the sake of writing is always the catchphrase I heard in graduate school, but having an audience who appreciates your work is the reward that all writers look for. I am glad that you found yours.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a journalist too!

The Nature Nut said...

Lucky you, blogging for a living ... now if I could inject some humour into my posts.

LilyFair said...

Funny!

Involvement in a crime or scandal is a great way to raise prices of autographs!

TwistedNoggin said...

I'd like to have enough things published that I could show them off to friends, but the idea of fame seems dreadful to me. Moderate fame could be nice, but I don't want any rabid fans taking pictures of me in my back yard. I have enough trouble with stalkers as it is.
I could enjoy a little bit of fame if for the right things. My sister shows EVERYONE the magazine cover I modeled on and it iritates me. I'm a writer, not the "sit there at look cute" gal.
I guess I like a little anonymity. But, if I'm ever recognized for anything, I hope it will be the right things.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. If I could type that in German, I would. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to look up a translator. :-D I find that witty journalists are usually more successful than the cut-and-dry type. Good job. :-) Maybe one day I'll ask you for an autograph. Afterall, it would be cool to see Chianca on paper.

Katie said...

I liked how your readership consisted of "blood relatives who already know me" as opposed to blood relatives who haven't had the lovely opportunity of meeting your ass yet... or the rest of you for that matter.

Katie said...

I, by the way, am neither. At least I don't think so.

Christina Rauh Fishburne said...

You are hysterical! If it makes you feel any better about elusive fame, I would ask for your autograph.