Sunday, July 16, 2006

This week's column:
The leap from cell phone to smell phone

I often wonder, why do cell phones tend to bother people? Is it the annoying novelty rings sounding out in restaurants and movie theaters? The hundreds of talkers yakking at full volume as they barrel obliviously down the sidewalk? No, in the end I think it's that nagging perception that they're not much good as long as they can't transmit smells.

Well, not for long. Apparently a company called Electronic Aromas is developing a way to deliver smells over your cell phone. This is a huge breakthrough, because if there's one thing the current commuter train experience lacks, it's the guy next to you taking huge, expressive snorts off his Nokia.

Personally, I'm not sure what the market is for such a function, although I'm the wrong guy to ask - I spend most of my time trying to avoid errant smells. I got this way after picking up one too many waiting-room magazines that left me writhing watery-eyed like a mace victim.

For the rest of this week's AT LARGE by Peter Chianca, click here.

No comments: